Saturday, January 19, 2013

Grilled vegetables & lemon cod skewers


High time for something light and healthy!  After all the holiday binging I am eager to switch  to steamed veggies, soups and warm salads (the cold ones I'm not so fond of during winter time).  Vegetables are extremely versatile -- there are so many different kinds, and various different ways to prepare them.  

I like to take advantage of seasonal produce as much as possible, though in general just go with the flow and buy whatever looks fresh and tempting.  Quite often I end up with triple the amount of veggies that a normal person would eat.  But what else can you expect after letting a woman loose in a store: she's bound to buy too much...


 

When I went grocery shopping last week, I noticed these cute young carrots and little cauliflowers, and of course could not resist their charm.  (Luckily, I did not buy the mini cabbages, baby zucchinis or tiny leeks -- as my fridge was already packed with veggies, and I would probably have ended up throwing them away.)  A perfect choice for a winter meal -- filling and full of flavor.  I could just as well have used normal-sized vegetables, cut in smaller pieces.  No difference in taste, but the little ones were so damn cute



This dish is very easy and quick to prepare.  Trust me -- I'm a lawyer.  What I mean is: if I can prepare this after the usual 11h at the office, working on tough cases -- so can you.  It's ready in no time, taste really good, and is shamelessly good for you.  

Too good to be true, right?  Well -- just see for yourself!




Ingredients:
  • 200 g of young carrots (can be replaced by full-grown ones)
  • 4 baby cauliflowers, cut in half (can be replaced by full-grown ones)
  • 150 g of young green asparagus
  • 400 g cod filet
  • 150 g of chopped mushrooms
  • 1/2 chopped onion
  • lemon juice
  • olive oil
  • salt & pepper
Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 200°C.  Cut the cod in stripes or small pieces, season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.  Put on skewers, alternating with pieces of asparagus.  Bake for 15-20 minutes.
  • Put a big pan filled with salted water to a boil.  Put in the carrots and cauliflower in the pan just for a few minutes, to blanch.  
  • Heat a little bit of olive oil in a grill pan and grill the asparagus, and blanched cauliflower and carrots.  Season with freshly ground salt and pepper.
  • Glaze the chopped onions in a small pan with olive oil until golden.  Add chopped mushrooms.  Season with salt to taste once fried.
  • Serve fish with vegetables.  Very good with a glass of wine (wine is healthy too)!


Bon appetit!



No comments:

Post a Comment